History

of Our Church

The Friends Church began more than 300 years ago in England under the leadership of George Fox, a man who experienced a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and spent his life sharing his experience with others.  Those early Friends made great contributions to the spiritual and social needs of their country, taking the lead in securing prison reforms,religious liberty, Christian education, and the care for the suffering.  The emphasis of a personal relationship with a holy God rather than ritualistic religion continues to motivate Friends to minister to others.

Before long, Friends (also known as Quakers) began coming to the New World.  In 1681 William Penn founded the colony of Pennsylvania as a refuge from persecution for fellow Quakers.  Years later Friends were instrumental in establishing an effective Underground Railroad for the relocation of those bound by slavery.

As others moved west, so did the Friends.  By 1812 Friends in Ohio had united to form Ohio Yearly Meeting of Friends.  Since 1965 the church has held it's annual session in Canton.  In 1971 the name was changed.  Now known as the Evangelical Friends Church- Eastern Region (EFC-ER) it participates actively in a larger group of Friends worldwide, Evangelical Friends Church International-North America (EFCI-NA).

 

Humble Beginnings

Our local congregation grew out of camp meeting revival services held along what is now Race Street in Hughesville.   The congregation built it's first building on Water Street in 1905-1906.  Initially founded by the Ecroyd sisters and part of the Apostolic Holiness Union, the congregation joined the Friends denomination in 1912.

 

 

Growing Through Change

In need of a larger building, the opportunity to purchase an entire block came in 1968.  The Rishel Furniture Co. plant on Third St. had burned in 1965.  The property was purchased from them in August and the building that currently houses our church was erected in 1976-77.         

 

 

 

 

Looking to the Future

An active and on the move congregation, we are currently in the process of designing larger facilities that will be located on north side of the sanctuary.

 

 

 

 

Reching Up


Reaching Out

 

Reaching People